It was on this day in 1939 that the little town of Oconomowoc, Wisconsin changed forever. At the little Strand Theatre, a movie musical was shown on this night, starring Hollywood favorites like Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr, Margaret Hamilton, and a new-comer to the Hollywood scene…a little 16 year-old girl by the name of Frances Ethel Gumm (later to be known as Judy Garland).
Three days before its huge Hollywood premiere, and 2 weeks before its national premiere), The Wizard of Oz was shown in three small test market theaters, two in Wisconsin and one in Massachusetts. During its initial run in theaters, this beloved movie musical grossed approximately $3 million (about $50 million today) in revenue.
The Wizard of Oz was nominated for several Academy Awards that year, including Best Picture and Best Visual Effects. While it lost in both of these categories, it was awarded an Oscar for Best Song (“Over the Rainbow”) and Best Original Music Score. Judy Garland even won a special Academy Juvenile Award that year, an honor she also shares with Shirley Temple, Margaret O’Brien, Hayley Mills, and Mickey Rooney. Although she was nominated for several of her other roles throughout her career, this would be the only award given to Garland from the Academy.
In celebration of the worldwide premiere of this magical movie classic, I’ve gathered up some tasty treats that are perfect for a Wizard of Oz themed party. From Yellow Brick Road bars to an out-of-this-world Rainbow Cake, this collection of Wizard of Oz party recipes will have you doing the Jitterbug in no time!
- Over the Rainbow Cake from Oven Love
- Cowardly Lions, and Tigers, and Bears from Kim’z Kitchen
- Scarecrow Cookies from Skip to My Lou
- Glinda’s Wand Pops from Sugar and the Spice
- Melting Witch Cookies from Eating &…
- Ruby Slippers Lollipop Guild Party Favor from Yvonne Byatt’s Family Fun
- Strawberry Hearts from 1 Fine Cookie
- Melon Poppies from One Lucky Pickle
- Yellow Brick Road Bricks from Sew Vintage Emporium