In my kitchen, there’s no such thing as a one-use tool. Almost everything can have more than one reason for existing…and cookie cutters are no exception:
- Obviously these little guys can be used to make cookies, Jell-O Jigglers, and fun fondant decorations…but you can also use them to make fun-shaped pancakes, eggs, and elegant decorations on your cakes. Place the cookie cutter in the center of an unfrosted cake and dust the inside with powdered sugar to give the cake a fancy decoration.
- Don’t feel like baking? Buy a pre-made pound cake, slice it into ½ inch slices and use the cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Frost them as you’d like.
- Use them to trace shapes on cards, crafts, and even your wall.
- Attach your favorite cookie recipe to a handful of cookie cutters and give them out as gifts.
- Tie a ribbon around them and hang them from a tree at Christmastime. It’s super cute and a fun way to keep your kitchen in the holiday spirit.
- Use them to make chocolate cutouts or fill the cookie cutters with chocolate to give as a gift (place the cookie cutters on wax paper and fill them with cool melted chocolate. Let it sit until the chocolate is hard and wrap it in cellophane to hand out as party favors or gifts).
- If you have kids, make them PB & J sandwiches and cut out fun shapes with the cookie cutters.
- Cookie cutters an also be used as molds for cheese spreads.
- Mini cookie cutters can be used to cut shapes out of pumpkins, peppers, cucumbers, and pie crusts to add some fun personality to your food.
- Want a fun summer treat? Buy ice cream in rectangle containers and cut it (ice cream and box included) into ½ to 1 inch slices. Use the cookie cutters to make ice cream shapes. Place the cut outs on a pan covered in wax paper and put the pan back in the freezer to let the ice cream reset. Cover them in chocolate or decorate as you’d like.
- Use them as napkin rings for a bridal shower or wedding. BONUS: They can also be a party favor!
- Hang some cookie cutters near a window to make a mock wind chime.
- Grab some cookie cutters from your kitchen for a party and use them as balloon weights.
- Use them as soap molds.
Knowledge is power! Learn fun facts, hints and tips, and creative ways to use every day items with “The Buzz” posts on Thursday.