I saw a picture of Guinness cake a few days ago and was inspired to try something similar. Here is a recipe for Guinness cupcakes with Irish coffee flavored frosting. Delish.
1 cup Guinness (Extra Stout, DO NOT use draft)
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into slices
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups sugar
¾ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking soda
FROSTING RECIPE TO FOLLOW
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line or grease your cupcake tins.
- Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan. Turn on medium heat and add the butter. Heat until butter is melted. Whisk in cocoa and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla.
- Turn the heat off the Guinness and slowly add about 1 cup of the batter into the sour cream mixture, whisking continuously (to temper the eggs). Add the sour cream mixture into the Guinness mixture ad finally whisk in the flour and baking soda.
- Pour cake batter into tin and bake about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
Makes about 24 cupcakes.
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into slices and at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream (any flavor is fine)**
**I personally do not like Bailey’s, so I used 2 tablespoons Irish coffee flavored ice cream. I let it melt to a liquid and it worked just fine. This would also be delicious with cold coffee.
Cream the butter on high speed for about 3 minutes. Add the Bailey’s (or liquid of your choosing) and mix thoroughly. Slowly add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until well blended. If your frosting is too hard, add more liquid…to runny, add more powdered sugar.
Every Monday is a “Reci-bee” post, where I share my favorite recipes, recipe collections, and cooking and baking hints and tips.