Guinness. It’s not St. Patrick’s Day without it. It’s near impossible to think that us Irish folk would use Guinness for anything other than drinking, so here are some fun Guinness facts for you. I wish you all a very happy St. Pattie’s day! Have a Guinness…”It’s Good for You.”
1. Guinness is not only brewed in the Land of the Green…it’s made in over 150 countries, including Nigeria and Indonesia.
2. Hard to believe by looking at it, but a pint of Guinness is less than 200 calories. That’s less than what most people drink on a daily basis, including milk.
3. The old saying that Irish people have “Guinness in their blood” may not be far from the truth. Supposedly pregnant women in Ireland drink a glass of Guinness every day to fortify themselves and their baby.
4. You can also thank Guinness for that yearly book of world records that we all enjoy reading. In 1954, the head executive of Guinness Beer commissioned a handy reference book filled with facts as a means for him to settle disputes with friends and acquaintances. The first edition of said book, The Book of Records, was a promotional item Guinness gave to bars to thank them for buying their beer and to use to help settle disputes before a bar fight broke out.
5. Although nothing says Irish Pride like a good frothy pint of Guinness, Great Britain actually holds the record as the country that consumes the most Guinness. Ireland comes in second, followed by Nigeria, the United States, and Cameroon.
6. Despite the fact that Ireland is in a close second regarding the Guinness drinking record, it’s still the #1 drink sold in Ireland…and Guinness easily makes roughly 2 billion dollars annually.
7. A perfect pour of Guinness should take 199.50 seconds.
8. Guinness is an amazing addition to tons of recipes. Try it in chocolate cake, beef stew, french toast, and much more.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all my Irish and “Irish for a day” friends out there! Slainte!
Knowledge is power! Learn fun facts, hints and tips, and creative ways to use every day items with “The Buzz” posts on Thursday.