Here’s a new cake recipe I tried last month and I simply fell in love with it! Great for Easter and upcoming spring birthdays!
COCONUT CAKE CUPCAKES
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- sweetened coconut for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Put the flour, baking powder, salt and butter (weird, I know…but trust me!) in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment (or using a handheld electric mixer) beat on a low speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Meanwhile whisk together the coconut milk and vanilla in a small bowl, the pour it into the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until well combined. Add the egg and beat well.
- Divide batter between 30 paper-lined mini cupcake cups. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until light and golden and the cake bounces back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Frost with coconut frosting and sweetened coconut.
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 5 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 T light coconut milk, plus more if needed
- Beat the confectioners’ sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until mixture comes together and is well mixed. Turn the mixer down to low and slowly pour in the coconut milk. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed and continue to beat until the frosting is very light and fluffy, 5-10 minutes.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes and top with coconut.
- You could also toast the coconut and turn your cupcakes into little spring bird nests!
Every Monday is a “Reci-bee” post, where I share my favorite recipes, recipe collections, and cooking and baking hints and tips.