Every time I watch Julie and Julia, I crave bruschetta. CRAVE IT! It’s super refreshing in the summer and perhaps one of the easiest things to make. It’s perfect with just red tomatoes, but you haven’t lived until you’ve tried it with assorted heirloom tomatoes. As Julie says, “YUM!”.
Rustic Bruschetta with Heirloom Tomatoes
4 slices rough textured bread, such as a crusty baguette, cut lengthwise on a diagonal
16 oz. assorted heirloom type tomatoes, chopped
extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
chopped fresh basil
1. Toss tomatoes with 1 T. olive oil and about 1 tsp. sea salt.
2. Fry bread in 2-3 T. olive oil in skillet, browning on each side, and adding 1 more T. oil if necessary.
3. Rub cut half of garlic over 1 side of fried bread.
4. Spoon tomatoes over bread. Top with chopped basil and more sea salt to taste.
5. Eat with plenty of napkins on hand.
Every Monday is a “Reci-bee” post, where I share my favorite recipes, recipe collections, and cooking and baking hints and tips.