Many bakers know…most of the flavor of citrus fruit lies in the skin. If you’re using lemons, oranges, grapefruit or any other citrus fruit in a recipe, add some zest from the skin for a flavor explosion. If you’re just having an orange for a snack, hang on to those peels…they can do wonders to you and your home.
1. Candy your orange peels by boiling in sugar water and drying in a food dehydrator. Dried orange peels can be used as a garnish or mixed in a salad. Dip in chocolate for a delicious ice cream topping.
2. Bonfire season is upon us! Use dried orange peels as a fire starter. It burns slower than newspaper and gives off a nice odor as it burns.
3. Every Christmas, my dad mixes orange peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, and tons of other spices into an amazing potpourri. Simply combine all your ingredients and place in a pot. Add water until just covered and put on the stove under a very low simmer.
4. Mix orange peel and coffee grounds together and sprinkle around your garden to prevent pesky kittens from using your yard as a litter box.
5. Outdoor summer party? Zest some oranges and place small bowls of zest around your yard to keep bugs away. Mosquitoes and flies are not citrus fans…plus your party will smell amazing! Ants hate oranges, too…so pour orange juice/grated orange peel directly on a nest to get rid of them.
6. Deodorize your house. Place dried orange peel in a cheesecloth and hang in musty places to get rid of the “old clothes” smell. You could also throw some peels down your garbage disposal to help neutralize sink smell.
7. Jazz up your black tea by adding some dried orange peel.
8. If you’re not really feeling creative, just throw the peels into your garden. Citrus peels make great compost.
9. Mix grated orange peel with sugar for a great exfoliating scrub.
10. Throw some dried orange peel in your brown sugar container to keep the sugar moist and clump free.
11. One use I love (living in a small apartment and all) is that orange peels suck up odor…so drop a few in your garbage can before you replace the bag to help prevent the smell of garbage from overtaking your kitchen.
Knowledge is power! Learn fun facts, hints and tips, and creative ways to use every day items with “The Buzz” posts on Thursday.