And a delicious one at that! Here is an adorable food craft that’s perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or a cute topping for a cake or an ice cream sundae.
CHOCOLATE CHERRY MICE
- 24 maraschino cherries with stems
- Waxed paper
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 24 milk chocolate Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped
- 48 almond slices
- Drain the cherries and pat them dry with paper towels (I also rinse mine. It helps the chocolate stick to the cherry). Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat them until smooth, working in 15-second intervals, stirring between each.
- Holding a cherry by its stem, dip it into the chocolate and swirl it around to completely cover the fruit. Set it on its side on the waxed paper and immediately press a Hershey’s Kiss onto the cherry for the head. For the ears, gently wedge two almond slices between the Kiss and the cherry. Repeat to make 24 mice.
- Use canned frosting, decorating gel, or a piece of candy to add eyes and a nose to your mouse. You can create a fast gel by adding a teaspoon of water to a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar. If the paste is too runny, add more sugar. Too dry, more water. Once you have the right consistency (it should be sturdy like frosting), divide it into three bowls. Color one black and one pink. Place into three separate Ziploc bags and snip a corner of the bag to create a decorating bag. Use white and black for the eyes and pink for the nose.
Every Monday is a “Reci-bee” post, where I share my favorite recipes, recipe collections, and cooking and baking hints and tips.