I love discovering new ways to use everyday items…and today I have a conglomeration of tips and tricks for you regarding home goods, food tricks, and more! Your life will never be the same! Okay, maybe that’s a bit dramatic, but you get the idea…
1. Flip your toaster on its side to make grilled cheese! This is awesome if you like open-faced sandwiches or you don’t want to take out the griddle to make a sandwich for one.
2. On the sides of most aluminum foil wraps, there are fold-in tabs to make the tube stay in place. I’ve always wondered what those were for!
3. The color of the tab holding your bagged bread closed indicates the day it was baked.
4. Cereal canisters make great trash cans for your car. Just use a plastic bag from the grocery store as a liner.
5. Take your bananas apart when you bring them home from the store. They’ll ripen slower and won’t brown as quickly.
6. Here’s one I use all the time–if you need to buy canned frosting, take it out of the container and whip it with an electric beater before frosting your cake. It will nearly double in size! You can also add a drop of vanilla or almond extract to get rid of that “canned frosting” flavor.
7. Tis the season for holiday baking…and molasses. Before you measure your molasses, honey, peanut butter, or other sticky substance, spray your measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray. Your sticky ingredient will pour out like water.
8. To prevent yourself from “Marilyn Monroe-ing” on a windy day, cut a few sections open in the bottom seam of your dress or skirt. Insert a few washers or flat weights and sew it back up. The weight will help hold the fabric down as the wind blows!
9. Want streak free mirrors? Turn the lights off when you wipe the mirror down. I know it sounds strange, but I do this all the time! Just spray them down, turn off the lights, wipe, and tah-dah! Clean streak-free mirrors!
10. I have short hair, so I have to style it all the time…therefore I know that cleaning the hairspray and other crap off the bathroom sink can be a pain! Simple solution here, ladies: use shampoo. Shampoo is designed to clean that stuff out of your hair and it works just as easily on the sink and on the floor! Plus your bathroom will smell amazing!
Do you have other helpful DIY tips? Share them below!
Knowledge is power! Learn fun facts, hints and tips, and creative ways to use every day items with “The Buzz” posts on Thursday.