I love owls. I also love things with abnormally large eyes. Therefore this crochet hat pattern is maybe the best thing of my life.
As I watched Barack Obama win the election a few days ago (yay!), I took all my nervousness out on this adorable, yet ridiculous, owl hat. If there’s not an election going on and you find yourself crafting in a stress-free environment, this hat can easily be worked up in a weekend.
I also have no shame in saying that this was originally a child’s hat…a newborn’s hat to be more specific…but I’m proud to wear the adult version for the rest of the winter! If you’d like to make a pattern for a baby or toddler, you can find alternate sizes at http://www.crazysockscrochet.com.
Crazy Crochet Owl Hat
- Worsted weight yarn in 5 different colors (CA for top stripe, CB for bottom stripe, CC for eye color, white for eyes, and orange for beak)
- 5mm (US H-8) and 5.5mm (US I-9) crochet hooks
- Yarn needle
- Stitch markers
- Buttons (optional)
Gauge: 14 sc and 15 rows = 4” (10 cm) with larger hook
This pattern is for an adult. Visit http://www.crazysockscrochet.com for more sizes.
- With CA and larger hook, ch 33
- Round 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn and continue sc in each st on other side of starting chain, do not join. Place marker to denote beginning of round and move marker as you complete the following rounds. 64 sc.
- Rounds 2-15: Work even in sc. 64 sc.
- Change to CB.
- Rounds 16-29: With CB, work in even sc. At the end of the last round, sl st in next st to join.
- Fasten off.
- Lay hat flat in front of you. Count 3 stitches in from each side and mark them.
- Count 12 stitches toward back of hat, from each marker, and mark again. You have just marked the spaces where earflaps will go.
- With larger hook and CB, join yarn with sc at the right front stitch marker.
- Row 1: Sc across to 2nd stitch marker.
- Row 2: Ch 1, turn. Sk first sc, sc in each sc across.
- Repeat row 2 until 1 stitch remains. Fasten off.
- Make 2nd earflap in the same manner as the first.
- Join CA on back of hat and sc evenly around edge and earflaps, working 2 sc at the tip of each earflap. Join, fasten off, and weave in ends.
- Cut 12 long lengths of yarn per side. Thread them through the tip of earflap. Braid and knot the ends.
- With smaller hook and orange yarn, ch 7.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook and each st across. Ch 1, turn (6 sc)
- Row 2: Sk first sc, sc in each sc across. Ch 1, turn (5 sc)
- Rows 3-5: Rep row 2, decreasing by 1 sc each row.
- Row 6: Sk first sc, sc in last sc.
- Row 7: Ch 1, sc continuously around edges of triangle, working (sc, ch 1, sc) in the top 2 corners. Sl st into first st at the tip of beak.
- Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing. Sew beak in place.
Eyes (make 2)
- With larger hook and white yarn, make adjustable ring (or ch 4, join to create ring).
- Round 1: Ch 2, 12 dc into ring. Join by inserting hook into first dc and drawing a lp of CC through.
- Round 2: With CC, ch 2, 2 dc in each dc around, join. (24 dc)
- Round 3: Ch 1, sc in each dc around.
- Join and fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing. Sew eyes in place. Sew buttons (optional) to center of eyes.
- Cut a 6-8” length of each of the colors of yarn used. Insert hook through top corner of hat and pull up loop. Draw ends of yarn through the loops you pulled up and pull yarn tightly into a slip knot. Repeat for other corner. Trim ends evenly.
Celebrate creativity every Wednesday with a “Creativi-bee” post, where I share easy craft tutorials, project ideas, and craft collections.