I’ve always been a little scared of amigurumi…partly because I didn’t know how to say it…and partly because I’m still very new to the world of crochet. However this little snowman (it turns out to be about the size of your hand) was just too cute to pass up…and as it turns out, it’s not as hard as it seems! Crochet amigurumi is the Japanese technique of crochet that literally combines the word “ami”, meaning to crochet or knit, with the word “nuigurumi”, meaning stuffed animal or doll. These crocheted toys have taken the industry by storm, and people are finding all kinds of crazy people, animals, and characters to make (check out this amazing Matthew McConaughey amigurumi design). For beginners, this crocheted snowman is a great pattern to start with. You can turn it into an ornament or use it as a gift tag for the upcoming holiday season. You could even embellish this little guy with the name of the recipient for a gift tag they’re sure to treasure.
Amigurumi Snowman Ornament
- 1 ball Red Heart Yarn – White
- 1 ball Red Heart Yarn – Heather
- 1 ball Red Heart Yarn – Turquoise
- 4.5 mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Filler (you can use stuffing or cotton balls)
Directions: Snowman Body
- With white, ch 3, sl st to form ring.
- Round 1: 2 sc in each ch around (6 sc)
- Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12 sc)
- Round 3: (2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc) around (18 sc)
- Round 4-7: Sc in each sc around.
- Round 8: (sc2tog over next 2 sc, sc in next sc) around (12 sc)
- Round 9: Sc in each sc around.
- Round 10: (2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc) around (18 sc)
- Round 11: (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc) around (24 sc)
- Round 12-16: Sc in each sc around
- Round 17: (sc2tog over next 2 sc, sc in next 2 sc) around (18 sc)
- Round 18: (sc2tog over next 2 sc, sc in next sc) around (12 sc)
- Round 19: (sc2tog over next 2 sc) around (6 sc)
- Fasten off, leaving tail for sewing. Stuff and sew opening closed.
- With grey, ch 3, sl st to form ring.
- Rep rounds 1-6 of body.
- Round 7: Change color to turquoise. Sc in each sc around. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
- Wrap blue yarn around fork prongs about 20 times to from a pom pom. See tutorial here.
- Attach pom pom to hat and attach hat to head. Secure hat with a few stitches that go through hat border and snowman head.
- With turquoise, ch 31.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, and each ch across. Ch 1, turn.
- Round 2: Sc in each sc across.
- Work 1 sc in end of each row, then continue along opposite side of beg ch, working 1 sc in back of each ch, ending with 1 sc in end of each row. Fasten off and weave in ends.
- Tie scarf in a knot around neck. Add eyes if desired and loop on top for hanging, if desired.
Celebrate creativity every Wednesday with a “Creativi-bee” post, where I share easy craft tutorials, project ideas, and craft collections.