Sometimes you just need a little taste of summer.
At our Super Bowl party last night, we had a huge summer-style feast. Chips and guacamole, salsa, a taco bar, and cold Mexican style beer. And what goes better with a satisfying summer meal than lemon squares?
These delicious Luscious Lemon Squares are practically fool proof. It was my first time making them and they’re so simple and delicious. I garnished mine with raspberries and blackberries and then sprinkled some sliced almonds on top. This is an easy and fun dessert to bring to a party, a book club meeting, or just to make for your friends and family when you’re feeling like a little summer sunshine.
Luscious Lemon Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cold
- 4 slightly beaten eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel (one lemon should do the trick)
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (approx. 3 lemons)
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Powdered sugar for dusting
1. In a large bowl combine the 2 cups flour, the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until edges are golden.
2. Meanwhile, for the filling, in a medium bowl stir together the eggs, granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, lemon peel, le
mon juice, and half and half. Pour filling over hot crust.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more, or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over top (make sure they’re completely cool or else the sugar will melt). Cut into bars and cover and store in the refrigerator.
Every Monday is a “Reci-bee” post, where I share my favorite recipes, recipe collections, and cooking and baking hints and tips.