A few weeks ago I decided it was time to start spring cleaning. I’ve been wanting to go through my disks of photos for a long time, and finally one weekend I just sat down and got everything organized onto one DVD disk…
However this left me with several unusable CD’s. I felt bad just throwing them away, so I began brainstorming ways to use them.
When I landed on this idea to do toast coasters, I couldn’t wait to get started! This is such a fun and easy project and a great way to use up all kinds of scraps in your stash. Not only will this help you get rid of unwanted CD’s, but you can plow through your paper and fabric stash in no time!
I went back and forth about what to put on the coasters. I thought maybe I’d try out my new coffee-themed stamp set, but I eventually landed on this idea to write funny toasts on each coaster. I gathered limericks, toasts, and popular sayings from a variety of Scottish and Irish Web sites and printed out my favorites. Now each one of these 35 coasters has a funny (and sometimes crass) toast on it.
This is a great idea for bachelor parties or summer BBQ’s with the guys. They make great gifts and are fun to just have on display by your bar or in the den.
Recycled CD Coasters
- Assorted papers
- Mod Podge/brush
- Group of toasts, limericks, or favorite quotes
- Ink pad
- Hot glue gun/glue sticks
- Trace a CD on your 12×12 scrapbook paper. You should be able to trace 4 CD’s per paper sheet. Cut them out and set aside.
- Do the same with the felt. You may have to use a pen for this since pencil won’t show up on the felt. With the paper and the felt, I made a little X in the middle of the circle on the side where I traced, so I knew what side to hide.
- Once your felt circles are cut out, set those aside and cut out your toasts. I inked the edges of mine to give them a vintage-well worn look, but you don’t have to do that if you don’t want to. If you do ink your edges, make sure you allow the ink to dry before using the Mod Podge or else the ink will spread and bleed. You could even do this step first so the ink has time to try when you cut out your paper and felt circles.
- Once everything is ready to go, you can begin making your coasters! Using a brush or foam brush, add some Mod Podge to the front of the CD, and then add some to the back of a paper circle. Place the circle on the CD and press to secure. Then add a bit of Mod Podge to the front of the circle and add your sentiment. Mod Podge over the whole thing and set aside to dry. Repeat until all your coasters are done. Let dry completely before moving to the next step.
- Once the front of your coasters are dry, you’re ready to add your felt circles. Simply glue your circles, X side facing the CD, to the back of the CD with your hot glue gun.
- Once all your coasters are done, trim any edges that need to be trimmed. You can even add a ribbon around the CD to hide the edges of the paper and felt.
- And there you have it! An easy and fun way to use up those CD’s and have fun entertaining all at the same time! These also make great wedding gifts and gifts for boyfriends, husbands, dads, and all those other guys in your life that are just too hard to shop for!
Celebrate creativity every Wednesday with a “Creativi-bee” post, where I share easy craft tutorials, project ideas, and craft collections.