There’s nothing like a quick, budget-friendly, and delicious dinner to sooth the soul this winter. Full on flavor (and some New Year’s guilt–but well worth it!), this delicious tater tot casserole is sure to please kids and adults alike.
This cheesy, hearty, yummy dinner is made even better with good-quality chili. You can use homemade chili if you have some on hand, but canned works as well…just make sure you use the best-tasting and best-quality chili you can find, as chili is the main flavor in this dish.
This Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole is so great for big family dinners and parties. It can serve up to 8-10 people easily, or even more if you serve this as a side dish. It can work as a meat-friendly or meatless dish, depending on what chili recipe you use, and if you can’t find Ore-Ida crispy crowns at your local grocery store, any sized hash brown will work.
Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 2 cans chili (I used Amy’s Organic Chili Medium)
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (plus more for serving, if desired)
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chilies, drained
- 2 bags shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 30-ounce bag Ore-Ida Crispy Crowns
- Let the tater tots defrost for about 1-2 hours at room temperature. Once fully defrosted, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Layer half of the tater tots on the bottom of the baking dish in one even layer. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the 2 cans of chili with the sour cream. Mix in drained corn and drained tomatoes and chilies. Gently fold in one cup cheese.
- Pour chili mixture on top of the tater tots.
- Layer the other half of the tater tots on top of the chili.
- Sprinkle with the remaining one cup of cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
What other tater tot recipes do you love? Share your tater tot staples below!
Every Monday is a “Reci-bee” post, where I share my favorite recipes, recipe collections, and cooking and baking hints and tips.