It’s Harry Potter Week and we’re celebrating this magical wizard all week long! Come back each day for more magical stuff!
True Potterheads will remember the key scene in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. In order to find said stone, Harry and his friends must tackle a series of challenges, one of them being a quest to find the key to a door amidst a room full of winged keys. As soon as Harry spots the right key and mounts his broom, the keys take off and start flying around the room with an angry vengeance.
Though these keys are much more docile, this cute Harry Potter Flying Keys Mobile is an ode to that awesome scene.
Made with various key charms and paper wings, these floating keys jingle ever so slightly in the breeze, and make a fun decoration in a bedroom or nursery.
The keys in this mobile were collected from various craft stores and other charms I had on hand from older projects. I used a lacy laser cut wood decoration to act as the top of my mobile, but you could use whatever works for you!
- Laser cut wooden decoration (these are kind of delicate, so I used 2 and glued them together)
- White acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Clear string
- Assortment of key charms
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Old book pages or newspaper
- Paint both wooden decorations white with your acrylic paint. Let both dry completely. You’ll only need to paint one side of each piece since we’ll be gluing them together. If you find a sturdier piece of laser cut wood, you can just use that one piece and paint both sides.
- While your paint is drying, start tying string to your keys. Attach one end to the key and tie to various spots on the laser cut wood. Tie your keys at various lengths to add style and dimension.
- Cut out wings from book pages or newspaper. I found the easiest way to do this was to fold the paper in half and cut out wings on the crease. I just eyeballed it, but you can find templates online if needed.
- Glue the wings to the keys using a hot glue gun. This will also help secure the strings onto your keys.
Hang up your mobile and enjoy!
Celebrate creativity every Wednesday with a “Creativi-bee” post, where I share easy craft tutorials, project ideas, and craft collections.
2 responses to “Harry Potter Flying Keys Mobile”
How absolutely creative.
aww thank you! I really love it! It just lightly jingles in the breeze