What is it about that artificial pistachio flavor that just tastes so freaking good? Pistachio ice cream…pistachio cake…pistachio pudding…you’d think the toxic neon green color might deter me, but no. I love me pistachio flavored anything.
And this Pistachio Ice Box Cake is no exception. A play on the popular Watergate Salad (another guilty pleasure that I can just eat with a wooden spoon while sitting in my pj’s on my couch watching Gossip Girl), this cake combines only a few ingredients to create a tasty n0-bake summer treat that’s great for, well, anything!
As is custom with most ice box cakes and pies, this treat gets better the longer it sits. Since it’s made in a small pan, it doesn’t make many servings, so plan ahead if you plan on making this for a party. However, because this recipe is pretty simple and VERY budget friendly, this is a great party treat if you double the ingredients and use a larger 9 in. x 13 in. pan instead.
Pistachio Ice Box Cake
- 2 (3.4 oz) packages instant pistachio pudding
- 2¼ cups cold milk
- 16 oz. frozen whipped topping, defrosted
- 18 to 20 graham crackers
- Chopped pistachios for decorating
- Like an 8 in. x 8 in. pan with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pudding and milk until combined. Refrigerate 5 minutes.
- Fold 8 oz. whipped topping into pudding until combined.
- Place one layer graham crackers in prepared pan. Top with half of pistachio pudding. Repeat layers, ending with a layer of graham crackers. Top with remaining 8 oz. whipped topping. Top with chopped pistachios.
- Refrigerate overnight.
Every Monday is a “Reci-bee” post, where I share my favorite recipes, recipe collections, and cooking and baking hints and tips.