Looking for an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love? Try this Mini Shells with Italian Sausage, Asparagus, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes dish. Filled with flavor, this pasta dish uses basil pesto instead of marinara sauce and packs a little punch depending on how spicy your Italian sausage is!
If you don’t like asparagus, you can easily sub it for peas or spinach…and the sausage can easily be replaced by chicken, if desired. Though this dish is baked entirely on the stove, you could top it with some more grated cheese and pop it under the broiler for a tasty pasta casserole that is sure to make the house smell amazing.
Mini Shells with Italian Sausage, Asparagus, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 box Mini Shells
- ½ lb. Hot Italian Sausage
- 5-7 Asparagus Stalks, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 8-10 Sun-Dried Tomatoes, chopped
- Classico Basil Pesto (8 oz. jar)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for garnish)
- ½ cup Provolone cheese, grated
- Prepare pasta following box instructions. Once pasta is cooked, drain it and set the pasta aside. Return the pot to the stove.
- In the pot, brown the sausage, using a wooden spoon to chop it up into small pieces. Once sausage is cooked, add asparagus stalks and garlic. Heat until garlic is fragrant, about a minute or so.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and entire container of basil pesto. Mix until pesto is hot, about another minute. Add the pasta back into the pot.
- Add cheeses, reserving some Parmesan cheese for garnishing. Remove pot from heat. Mix everything together. Serve immediately, topping with reserved cheese.
Every Monday is a “Reci-bee” post, where I share my favorite recipes, recipe collections, and cooking and baking hints and tips.