While fish can often be a bit pricey here in the Midwest, it surely makes an easy and quick mid-week meal. With a few spices and some standard veggies, you can dress up a fresh cod filet in no time, having dinner on the table in a little over an hour!
Blackened Cod with Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- 2 fresh cod filets
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced
- 6 multicolored carrots, peeled
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, Italian seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Drizzle cod filets with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Rub spice mix on all sides of fish. Place in plastic bag or container and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place sliced potatoes in bowl. Drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange in one layer on cookie sheet. If desired, sprinkle with chili powder for a little extra flavor. Bake in 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until potatoes start to brown. Turn over and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Drizzle peeled carrots with remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in oven during last 15 minutes of potatoes cooking. If you like your carrots a little more well-done, leave them in the oven until they’re done to your liking.
- Place marinated fish on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in 450 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes, until flesh begins to flake. Serve with a fresh squeeze of lime, if desired.
Every Monday is a “Reci-bee” post, where I share my favorite recipes, recipe collections, and cooking and baking hints and tips.